⋆.˚๐ฆ༘⋆Inheritance ⋆.˚๐ฆ༘⋆
My mother never said
be careful with sadness,
but I watched how she handled it -
not as something heavy,
but something that could spill
if carried carelessly.
In the kitchen, between the kettle's rising breath
and the click of the gas turning off,
she would stop -
not fully still,
just enough to pass through her face
and disappear again.
A flicker,
gone before it could be named.
An emotion perhaps?
I learned it like that,
not in words,
but in timing.
How that small silence can be placed
between two ordinary sentences
and alter them completely.
How a voice can continue
while something else
waits just beneath it.
Is it normal?
Before I could realise
I do it now too.
Mid conversation,
mid laugh
I feel it arrives.
That careful pause,
that quiet adjustment,
as if I am setting something down
no one else could see.
It is not quite sadness.
Not anymore.
It is sharp it leaves behind,
a habit of holding,
a way of moving through the day
without disturbing what rests underneath.
And sometimes I wonder,
is this how it continues?
Not passed from hand to hand, but carried forward,
in the smallest hesitations, in the space before we speak.
No comments:
Post a Comment